Learning Support Class
Teacher: Mr Foy
Classroom Assistant: Miss Curley
What is the Learning Support Class all about?
- The learning support classroom offers a range of learning approaches to support pupils with varying needs in a smaller class environment.
- The classroom can facilitate a maximum of 12 pupils ranging from P5-7.
- All pupils have access to a broad and balanced curriculum which will be appropriate to their individual needs and abilities.
- Pupils have the opportunity to integrate, as appropriate, into the mainstream classes to work, learn and socialise with their peer group. The emphasis for each pupil will be that they realise their full potential academically, socially, physically, and emotionally where possible. This will prepare pupils for the next stage of their education and begin to provide appropriate life skills, so that they can become confident members of their community.
- Pupils have the opportunity, at times, to work with children from their mainstream classes in their own environment in the LSC. This is known as reverse integration.
- Pupils will have the opportunity to carry out everyday-life tasks both in school by preparing snack and in the community by going shopping and ordering food etc.
- Pupils will leave the school premises regularly to enable them to practise using their social skills in the wider community.
Mr N Foy and Miss Curley work very closely with class teachers and parents to ensure that each child in the LSC has the opportunity to achieve their full potential at the JMPS.